Millions of Americans suffer from mental health illnesses that affect how they think and feel. Research suggests that mental health conditions don’t begin from one event, but are a combination of lifestyle, environment and genetic influences.
Common mental health illnesses include:
- Anxiety Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Dissociative Disorders
- Early Psychosis and Psychosis
- Eating Disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive Disorder
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Schizoaffective Disorder
Modern-Day Mental Health Therapy
If you need medical help, you should seek professional help from a medical doctor. There are, however, many new online therapy programs that are ideal for people in areas where mental health professionals are unavailable or for those that prefer therapy in the comfort of their home.
The following are rated the top nine online therapy programs this year.
- Best Overall: Talkspace - With unlimited messaging and video conferencing, this app is the top-rated online therapy program with a licensed therapist.
- Best Live Chat Sessions: Betterhelp - This app lets you select several different ways to contact your therapist, and one option includes live chat sessions.
- Best for Quick Consultations: Amwell - With access to several different mental health professionals 24/7, this app is ideal for quick consultations anytime.
- Best Free Assessment: Doctor on Demand - Offering a free assessment, this service can help determine if you need to speak to a professional about depression and anxiety.
- Best Access to a Psychiatrist: MDLive - A group of psychiatrists that can prescribe and manage all types of psychiatric medications is available via this app.
- Best for Couples: Regain - Specializing in couples therapy, they have services geared towards helping to address relationship issues.
- Best for Peer Support: 7 Cups of Tea - Offering free support from peers, you can also choose to pay and speak to a professional.
- Best for Teenagers: Teen Counseling - Teens can chat, speak over the phone, message or even video conference with therapists that specialize in treating adolescents.
- Best for LGBTQ: Pride Counseling - Offering online therapy to the LGBTQ community, they offer affordable, discreet and accessible treatment to individuals.
Best Physical Fitness Programs
Going hand-in-hand with mental health is physical exercise. Whether you’re struggling to lose weight, help reduce anxiety or get your endorphins flowing, these top fitness apps are just what the doctor ordered.
- Best Short Workout - Johnson & Johnson Official 7 Minute Workout is a free app that features a seven-minute workout that is easy to do anywhere.
- Best On-Demand Workout - The top on-demand workouts are: Blogilates, Shred, Nike Training Club and Keelo.
- Best Activity Tracking - Logging your activities can help determine distance, time and other relevant stats. Additionally, if you wear a heart rate monitor while doing activities, apps will show your heart rate and total calories burned. You can also track your activities [to better determine if physical exercise helps to improve mental health with Map My Fitness or Charity Miles.
- Best Nutrition Tracking - Getting proper nutrition can help improve overall physical and mental health. The following apps can help you find the calorie and nutritional count of food, helping you stay healthy and on track: MyFitnessPal, Lifesum, MyPlate and Noom.
- Best Apps for Workout Music - To help boost your mood and power through workouts, you need the best music that matches your running tempo or tracks designed for your activity, such as yoga or elliptical training. The two top music apps for workouts are Fit Radio and RockMyRun.
Meditation is a great way to unwind anytime you feel you’re experiencing too much anxiety or need a moment to take a time-out and clear your cluttered mind. Here are the top three meditation apps:
- Calm (iOS, Android) - With more than 50 million downloads, you can listen to guided meditations, masterclasses and even sleep stories. 30-day free trial and $60 annually
- Headspace (iOS, Android) - Touted as “your gym membership for your mind,” this app offers guided courses, quick meditations and can help improve your sleep. One-week free trial and $13 monthly or a two-week trial and $70 annually.
- 10% Happier - Based on the book by the same name, you can connect with expert teachers who will teach you meditation. Seven-day free trial and $99 annually.