If you’re like millions of Americans, you likely run multiple electronic devices simultaneously in your home. Sometimes you may experience a sluggish wait time on upload speeds. This may mean that you should increase your internet speed to accommodate multiple devices.
Here are some questions to consider:
- How do you use the internet?
- Do you stream music over your phone or through Alexa?
- Do you download or upload large files in Dropbox or Google Drive?
- Do you or your children compete in online gaming via an Xbox or another device?
- Do you share photos and videos online?
- Do you stream movies and shows through Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime or Instant Video?
- Do you Facetime, Skype or video chat?
- Do you store your data in a Cloud?
Whether you only use one or 15 devices, it’s important that you have enough bandwidth to operate them all.
Furthermore, here are some examples:
- <10 Mbps – If you have one device and you spend a minimal amount of time online, this speed should work well. This speed is good for one device that occasionally does school research online, streams some music and views social media channels.
- 10 Mbps – If you have two to three devices in your home and you stream SD videos, shop online or share photos via social media, you can opt for this plan. Keep in mind that it is just a step up from the previous plan, which means it’s still slower than average when running 2-3 devices.
- 50 Mbps – If you run four to five devices, this will be a moderate speed. It’s good for HD video streaming, video chat and sharing videos and photos on social media.
- 100 Mbps – If you have six to 10 devices in your home and you stream HD videos on multiple devices, participate in multiplayer online gaming and work from home, this is a fast internet speed that should meet your needs.
- 1 Gbps – This is the fastest speed that Home Telecom offers. It’s ideal for 11 or more devices and is perfect for businesses and residences. Remember how quickly devices add up – iPads, Smartphones, gaming systems, e-readers, computers, laptops, security cameras, Alexa, etc. A family of four can easily have more than 11 devices in their home. This speed is perfect for 4K streaming on multiple devices, sharing large files and Cloud backups.
If you want to learn more about what speed you need for your home, take our Speed Test here.