Unfortunately, very few, if any, areas in the United States are crime-free. To help minimize your chances of becoming the victim of a crime, such as a home burglary, learn how to stay safe with Home Telecom’s HomeSmart security system. We’ll also highlight vital statistics about burglary and crime statistics in South Carolina.
Crime Statistics in South CarolinaLet’s dive into local 2021 crime statistics in South Carolina as compiled by the South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division.
- Murder Rate in South Carolina – South Carolina’s murder rate increased by 0.89 percent, and the state’s murder rate is the highest since 1991.
- Weapons Violations in South Carolina – South Carolina has seen an eight-year increase in weapon law violations. These violations increased by 4.2 percent from 2020 to 2021 and have increased by 80.8 percent over the past 10 years.
- Drug Violations in South Carolina – Drug law violations increased by 3.3 percent. The 10-year trend shows a staggering 15.1 percent increase.
- Property Crime in South Carolina – 134,072
- Larceny in South Carolina – 98,216
- Breaking and Entering Violations in South Carolina – 19,453
- Motor Vehicle Theft in South Carolina – 15,680
- Arson in South Carolina – 723
Nationwide Crime StatisticsAccording to the Department of Justice, more than 7 million property crime offenses, such as burglary, occur annually. Larceny-theft accounts for over 70 percent of property crimes, burglaries 17 percent and motor vehicle thefts 10 percent. Let’s delve into ways to minimize your chances of becoming a statistic while giving you and your family greater peace of mind.
HomeSmart SecurityChances are we all know someone or have a friend of a friend that has been the victim of a home invasion or burglary. To help avoid becoming a statistic, we have compiled the top five burglar deterrents for homes.
- Home Security Cameras – Having cameras mounted around the exterior of your home is one of the best burglar deterrents. Burglars are more likely to target homes that don’t have outdoor security cameras or security systems. Remember to place cameras in conspicuous areas so potential criminals can see the cameras, but they also are in a location that makes it easy to see people driving by, parking or walking. Home Telecom’s HomeSmart security system features a free outdoor camera with the purchase of Attack Pack.
- Outdoor Lighting – Remember that well-lit areas help to expose criminals. Many criminals will avoid homes with outdoor lighting. Consider investing in outdoor motion sensor lighting.
- Video Doorbell Cameras – Many burglars will attempt to use the front door when robbing a home. Protect your home and invest in a smart video doorbell camera. HomeSmart security’s Attack Pack also includes a free video doorbell camera.
- Alarm System – Homes that don’t have security systems are up to 300 percent more likely to be robbed. Consider incorporating various features into your alarm system, including security cameras that record, window and door monitoring systems, security lights, alarm systems and emergency service call-outs.
- Smart Locks – Smart locks are an excellent way to help further secure your home. While smart locks work like standard ones, you can quickly check your home when you’re away to make sure you lock it. You can also add a smart garage door controller to close your garage door remotely while away from home. Smart lock features are excellent for adults and very helpful for families where children or teens may not always remember to lock up before leaving.
Home Telecom’s HomeSmart security and home automation features the following security features to help keep your home safer.
- 24/7 security monitoring with cloud video storage
- Glass break detection
- FREE touchless video doorbell or outdoor camera with Attack Pack plan
- Unauthorized user picture snapshots
- App-based control of security devices
- Additional customized add-ons, including smoke detector sensors, Zwave lights, indoor and outdoor cameras, Zwave thermostat, Zwave garage door controller and more.
Help avoid becoming a crime statistic victim and start protecting your home and family today. Visit our website to learn more about HomeSmart security.