The holidays are just around the corner, and this year Charleston and the surrounding areas are delivering an abundance of events for those looking for a little winter and holiday fun. See below for some of the best events happening this December in the Lowcountry.
Lighting Up the Night
- Celebrate the Season - This annual event sponsored by Home Telecom is running its 8th year in a row as one of the best light displays in Moncks Corner. Start the night with the Holiday Lights Driving Tour, featuring dozens of light shows, all lit with energy-efficient LED lights and powered by 100% Green power, and then head over to the Moncks Corner Regional Recreation Complex for visits with Santa, children’s rides, marshmallow roasting and a craft fair at the weekend Holiday Fairs. November 23-December 30 (closed December 24th and 25th); $5 per vehicle.
- Moncks Corner Annual Christmas Parade and Tree Lighting - Come down to Main Street to help kick-off the holiday season with creative light displays and a performance from the SC State marching band, and then head on over to Market Pavilion to see the lighting of the town Christmas tree. December 1 at 6:00 pm; Main Street at Moncks Corner.
Holiday Festival of Lights - This annual Lowcountry tradition is running 29 years strong, and features hundreds of local landmarks and holiday scenes lit up throughout James Island County Park. After gazing at the gorgeous displays, you can enjoy a traditional carousel, marshmallow roasting, train rides and a variety of special events on select nights. November 9, 2018-January 1, 2019, Monday through Thursday from 5:30 pm to 10:00 pm, Friday and Saturday 5:30 pm to 11:00 pm. James Island County Park
1-15 guests: $20 per vehicle, $15 per vehicle Monday-Thursday with donation*
16-30 guests: $40 Monday-Thursday, $50 Friday-Sunday
31+ guests: $100 Monday-Thursday, $150 Friday-Sunday
- City of Charleston Parade - Spend the evening parading through downtown Charleston while enjoying floats, lights, performers, and marchers. The parade route begins at Colonial Lake before going up Broad Street and King Street and finally dispersing at Calhoun Street. December 2, Downtown Charleston 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm; Admission is Free.
- Summerville Christmas Parade - Aiming to bring the community together, this annual Christmas Parade is the pride of Summerville each holiday season. December 9 at 2:00 pm.
- Mount Pleasant Annual Christmas Lights Parade - Experience over 100 floats parading down Coleman Boulevard before culminating at the end of the evening with a tree lighting and fireworks in this spectacular display. December 9, 2018 beginning at 5:30 pm.
Drinks for the Holidays
- Nexton Cocoa Cup 5k - This amazing race will be sure to heat you up on the cold winter morning when you are running through Nexton’s beautiful course design with over 2,000 other freezing running fanatics. You can warm up afterward with a cup of hot cocoa and an awards ceremony. All registered runners will receive a commemorative hoodie and cocoa mug. Home Telecom is a proud sponsor of this event. December 15, 2018.
- Wine Under the Oaks - This annual event has become one of the Lowcountry’s most treasured holiday traditions. Enjoy sipping under the historical oaks of Boone Hall Plantation while also enjoying cooking demonstrations, samples, and entertainment. December 2, 2018, 1:00 pm-5:00 pm Boone Hall Plantation. 21 and over event, $55 per individual ticket.
- Daniel Island Holiday Festival - Start your holiday season off on a great foot with this favored traditional festival voted one of the best holiday events in Lowcountry. This Home Telecom sponsored family event includes children’s activities, festive drinks and food, and everything you need for holiday gift-giving from Charleston’s best vendors. December 1, 2018, 11:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Volvo Car Stadium. FREE parking and $5 admission per person, with ages 3 and under being free.