While most of us celebrate the holidays with a belly full of delightful treats, presents under the tree, and warm clothing on our backs, many families are not fortunate enough to have these. The COVID-19 pandemic has been challenging globally, and many American families and their pets are in need this holiday season.
Giving Back to Those in Need
If you would like to give back to those less fortunate in need this holiday season, consider one of Charleston’s many non-profit organizations.
- Beautiful Gate Center - Children and youth that have Autism can be financially challenging for many families. Beautiful Gate Center helps provide clinical services such as behavior therapy, education assessments, speech and occupational therapy for those in need.
- Charleston Animal Society - Protecting animals since 1874, the Charleston Animal Society strives for a world without cruelty to animals. Make a difference with a donation today and give help to animals this holiday season.
- Lowcountry Voices - This unique choir focuses on multicultural and ethnically diverse performances in North Charleston. As a 501(c)(3) performing arts organization, they are dedicated to keeping the traditions of African-American music alive, including jazz, Black gospel and spirituals. Help preserve diverse performing arts performances by donating to this cultural group.
- Coastal Community Foundation - Since 1974, Coastal Community Foundation has been helping address issues that face the South Carolina region. Whether you feel passionate about donating to a COVID-19 relief and recovery fund, advocacy for those less fortunate, place-based impact investing, disaster relief or conservation loan funds, this group focuses on special initiatives that give back to South Carolina.
- Junior League of Charleston - This group specifically focuses on building better communities and getting women involved to help improve the local community through effective action and leadership.
- Book Angels - This small non-profit group is dedicated to promoting children’s literacy for low-income, at-risk children in kindergarten through eighth grade.
- Charleston Friends of the Library - Support Charleston’s libraries and help fund library programs and events within the community.
- Teacher’s Supply Closet - This free store for teachers in the tri-county area helps provide donated supplies for schools where 81 percent of students are on reduced or free meals programs.
- Low Country Orphan Relief - Working with schools, non-profits, government agencies and foster parents, this relief group helps to provide much-needed funding for children in difficult situations.
- My Sister’s House - This non-profit organization provides programs, services and resources to help empower domestic violence victims and their children. My Sister’s House operates a temporary emergency shelter for women and children in the greater Charleston area.
- American Red Cross, Lowcountry South Carolina - Whether it’s blood collection for hospitals, disaster relief or health and safety classes, the American Red Cross has been helping local families during times of crisis.
- Favor Foundation - This North Charleston charity focuses on helping homeless Veterans gain access to clothes, food and job assistance resources.
- Fields to Families - With a focus on helping ease hunger in the Lowcountry region, farmers and community gardeners distribute foods to local food pantries, shelters, churches, soup kitchens and Meals on Wheels.
- Lowcountry Food Bank - Serving 10 coastal counties, the Lowcountry Food Bank strives to distribute 24 million pounds of food annually, including providing more than 300 member feeding agencies, such as homeless shelters and emergency food pantries, with supplies.
Home Telecom strives to give back to the local community year-round. Home Telecom was blessed to receive the Outstanding Corporation Award as a philanthropic community leader whose financial support, mentorship, corporate investment in internet access and economic development, and motivation of others, is a beacon of true community support and volunteer work across the Tri-County area.
Whether you’re giving back by donating your time or providing a monetary donation, we all must contribute to making South Carolina a healthy, wonderful place to live.