By modern-day standards, the minimum internet speed is 100 Mbps, and anything exceeding this is considered fast. However, there’s more to consider than just internet speeds.
To gauge the minimum internet speed you need, let’s dive into some questions.
- How many devices do you have that are simultaneously connected and in use?
- How many people in your home download or stream videos from YouTube, Netflix or Amazon Prime?
- Does anyone regularly download 4K videos?
- If anyone in your home participates in online gaming, do they use your Wi-Fi?
- How often do you need to send large files, primarily if you work from home?
- Do you get irritated when a website takes a while to load, the video you are watching is buffering or your online game lags?
To determine what minimum internet speed you need, you’ll need to consider several key points.
Minimum Internet Speed for Streaming Videos
Netflix recommends 3 Mbps to 5 Mbps for streaming high definition videos and up to 15 Mbps for 4K. However, if you plan on having multiple devices in your home connected, you’ll need higher speeds. For example, do you have other smart devices in your home, such as a Smartphone or Alexa? If so, you should consider faster download speeds from 100 Mbps to 200 Mbps, which should work for most users.
Minimum Internet Speed for Fast Downloads
A 100 Mbps offers 12/5/MB second transfer rates. On average, a 100 Mbps fiber connection provides uninterrupted workflow. You can stream webinars, conduct video chats, stream videos, and search the internet from several devices simultaneously in your home for three to four users.
A Mbps (megabit per second) equals one byte of eight, which means that downloading a 100 MB file at 100 Mbps internet speeds will take eight seconds.
What Minimum Internet Speed Do You Need?
The minimum internet speed for each household varies depending on the number of users and connected devices. If your internet seems to lag when you have multiple devices connected or are streaming, learn more about what minimum internet speed is right for you.
If you’re not sure about your current internet speed, use this convenient Internet Speed Test from Home Telecom to test different speeds for downloading photos, music, videos, movies and games.